Monday, May 11, 2009

Me and the boys!


One of the best things about living here in St. George is that I get to spend time with my nephews. I think they tend to keep me young at heart.
Our last little "outing" I think I might have tramatized them, or maybe just me since they won't remember.
I had a brilliant idea to take them to the Sand Dunes. They had never been there to my utter dismay and so I thought it would be fun. We left about 10:30 in the morning. We stopped and got water and treats and so it was about 11:00 when we got there.
It was a beautiful morning, the sky was blue and there was a slight breeze blowing. Well, we ran and jumped and played for probably an hour and a half.


Here is a picture of Weston covered in sand from head to toe!

We were having so much fun and I buried each boy up to their chins or as far as they would let me.












Weston having fun being buried in the sand!

















We were honestly having so much fun that I wasn't paying any attention to the hour.
The sun beat down on us and we continued to play. After the water had run out, it was time to leave. I gathered up our water bottles and started up the hill.
My feet were so hot that I had to hurry and bury them in the sand to stay cool. I had left everyone's shoes on the next dune over. Not a smart idea! Poor Weston didn't understand why his feet were hurting. He wanted me to carry him. If you have ever tried carrying a almost 3 year old in a pile of sand trying to hold water bottles and everything else, It is not fun!!!!
I finally sat him down and ran to the next dune to get his shoes and put them on him. I thought maybe that would save the day but he still wanted me to carry him. What is an aunt to do! I had Colton carry the water bottles and I carried Weston. By the time I got back to the car my poor feet hurt so bad, I couldn't hardly feel the bottoms! If mine hurt that bad, I couldn't imagine what I had done to poor Weston. Dragging his little tender feet through that hot hot sand.
So if you go to the sand dunes... go early in the morning and don't leave the shoes on the next dune over! I learned some value lessons and now I know why I wasn't "blessed" with children. I probably would have killed them off!
I think everyone had fun and I bought them lunch for a bribe to forgive me! I think it worked!

Maybe they still love me anyways! That is what I love about kids. You can mess up big time and they still love you no matter what! They might even be persuaded to go with me again on another adventure!

3 comments:

oldcowboy said...

Your nephews are lucky to have a great Aunt Monie. You are good to them and building a good foundation for their lives. Good Blog Monica.....

Hello Hardluck said...

Have you ever thought about why you like sand dunes? I've heard several stories now about grown-ups taking kids to the dunes so that they could have the same experience they did, and as adults, they found it a nightmare. Yet their pictures show happy, smiling, laughing kids! Considering that sun, weather and sand dunes haven't changed a lot, it makes me wonder if our parents had the same experience in taking us when we were small, but all we remember is a great memory. The boys are going to look back on the time you spent with them and have nothing but good memories, too. Brent's right. I've often thought that they are very lucky to have an aunt like you!

Gary and Pamela France said...

I am slow, but I found your blog today! I loved it...kids are forever forgiving. Especially to parents...and favorite aunts! I have not heard from you in too long. You haven't posted here for too long. We have a blog that is following our mission progress: theralphandfreddieshow.blogspot.com
Our email addresses are: freddiefrance@gmail.com and gary.france@myldsmail.com
Write me please and let me know what you are up to. I remember good times and tough times as friends...usually it was my tough tmes and you were my friend. I hope you receive this and will reply. Love you...Pamela