Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Heroes have always been Cowboys!

When I think of heroes, the first image that usually plobs into my brain is a man running around in his underwear, with his red cape flying behind him....Hmmm, I wonder what I use to watch as a child?

I have had many heroes throughout my life. When I was a kid there were a few famous people that I thought were pretty cool. I hung there posters up on my walls but that was about as far as it went.

I never dreamed that I would ever come to meet my heroes. They were just people on my wall, they didn't really exist beyond that.

Last night I had the opportunity to see a premiere of a documentary on Cody Wright. I have to be honest.... until last year I had no idea of who he was. For those that don't know who he is, he is a bronc rider from Milford Utah.

My nephew Colton idolizes him. He gets on his little stick horse and makes us announce that "Cody Wright" is coming out of the gate. Who knows where this instinct in Colton comes from. I certainly don't think it comes from the Hagen side, but who knows...my dad use to work on a ranch in his younger days.

I wish everyone could have seen this little boys face as he stood in line to meet Cody.

He was beaming from head to toe! He was actually getting to meet the real Cody Wright! He stood there in his wranglers and his cowboy shirt that he had picked out himself!
Picture in hand so that he could get Cody's autograph. He was so excited I thought that he would bust!

His Uncle Russ had won him tickets on the radio to be there that night. Susan said that he was all over his dad to leave so that they could get up there to Cedar.



I think Colton was a little shy when Cody was asking him questions but I think if he would have had a little more time he would have been asking Cody every question in the book!




After Colton got his autograph, he came in and watched the movie. Now for being such a little guy (almost 5) he was incredibly still and sat and watched the 60 minute movie.

He said to me a few times, "Moni, did you see that?" He absolutely loved it.
I asked him if he was going to ride Broncs like Cody when he got bigger, he sat and contemplated for a minute and said, "No, I'm gonna ride bulls!"
Sorry Sues. You better watch out for this little guy when he gets older!

I think that was very neat that Colton got to meet one of his heroes! Susan said that he was still beaming when he got home last night and won't let anyone touch his autograph.

Colton walked away one happy little cowboy....
Now he can move on to bigger and better things! Watch out bulls! Coltons coming!
Sorry Sues!

2 comments:

oldcowboy said...

Colton,
Keep up the good work! We need more cowboys in the world. What a better place this old world would be....Thanks for letting me see this event unfold. It was great to see Colton get to see one of his heroes.

T said...

What a cute little nephew you have! It was fun to see all his excitement that night! I wish him well in his dream of bein' a bull rider, one day I can say I knew him when he was little! :) Thanks "Moni"....you the bestest friend ever! Love ya!
T